The Interdisciplinary Research Centre for Education and Development (CeiED) of the Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias and the Centre for Social Studies (CES) of the Universidade de Coimbra, approved in May 2010, the jointly creation of the Observatory for Education, Policies, Training and Science (OP.Edu).
The creation of the Observatory aims to gather resources and congregate interests of researchers integrating both research centers, CES and CeiED, in order to promote the fundamental and applied research in the area of education, science and training policies. That is the mission pointed to the Observatory, to be achieved through the following objectives:
- To conduct basic and applied research in the area of education, science and training policies;
- To develop studies in partnership with public, private and third sector institutions;
- To promote and encourage the development and participation in networks of research and dissemination of results in the field of education, science and training policies;
- To encourage the development of synergies between the participating research centers, with a view to post-graduate training, and the development of master and doctoral dissertations associated with the Observatory themes;
- To promote the organization of scientific events: conferences, lectures, seminars, workshops and other similar events;
- To promote and disseminate the publication of scientific and technical texts;
- To strengthen and promote links with national and international research centers with assignments within the activities of the OP. Edu.
The Centre for Social Studies (CES) is one of only two existing laboratories associated in Portugal in the social sciences, and a worldwide center of excellence. The Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies in Education and Development (CeiED) has a strong tradition of research in the field of education policies. The OP.Edu is born from this confluence of efforts and skills.