Position for a First Level Doctorate – CEEC-COFAC/ULHT-CeiED/Júnior/2018
I – Object and job summary
COFAC, Cooperativa de Animação e Formação Cultural crl, hereby opens a competition to recruit a PhD researcher, corresponding to position 33 of the Single Remuneration Table, under the terms of the applicable legislation, with an Open-Ended Employment Contract, within the scope of programme contract between Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, I.P., and the above mentioned Cooperative, supported by national funds inscribed in the budget of the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) – and carried out in the Research Unit Interdisciplinary Research Centre for Education and Development (CeiED), Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias.
This recruitment, under an open-ended employment contract, under the project “Policies for Higher Education – academic profession, learning processes and pedagogical innovation” is intended to recruit a PhD researcher.
II – Work plan
The researcher to be hired must:
- participate in research and dissemination projects on higher education policies anchored in the paradigm of public sociology and social and cognitive justice;
- to conceive of research projects based on the production of innovative and applied knowledge on a field of studies that is still underdeveloped, which can be translated into concrete recommendations for policies and practices in higher education;
- prepare applications for research projects under national and international funding programs;
- prepare a publication plan both nationally and internationally;
- participate and organize scientific events;
- guide doctoral theses.
III – Conditions
The position of PhD researcher is made effective by means of an open-ended employment contract, for a period of 3 years, automatically renewable for periods of one year up to a maximum duration of 6 years, under the terms of Decree-Law nº 57/2016, of 9 August, amended by Law nº 57/2017, of 19 July, and the Portuguese Labour Code.
The tasks comprehended in the object of the employment contract take place in the premises of Campo Grande 376, in Lisbon, or in such places deemed necessary to implement the research plan.
The gross base monthly salary to be paid is 2 128.34 Euros according to paragraph a) of n.º 1 of article 15 of Law nº 57/2017, of 19 July, and to the first remuneration position of the initial level as laid down in article 2 of the Regulatory Decree Nº 11-A/2017, of 29 December, corresponding to position 33 of the Single Remuneration Table, approved by Order Nº 1553-C/2008, of 31 December.
IV – Applications
National, foreign and stateless doctoral researchers may apply for the position. Profile:
- hold a doctorate degree in Education or related scientific area revealing adequate work capacity to the activity to be developed integrated into multidisciplinary team;
- preferably, have research and development experience in the field of Public Policies – Policies of Higher Education;
- preferably belong to or have belonged to research networks of the defined theme;
- oral and written proficiency in Portuguese and English language.
Should the candidate hold a PhD awarded by a foreign higher education institution, the formalities required by Decree-Law nº 341/2007, of 12 October, must be complied with by the deadline for submission of applications.
The contract to be made is scheduled to begin on December, 17th, 2018, and finish, predictably, on December, 16th 2024, or with the completion of the research project, preserving the term regime established by the Labour Code.
The deadline for submitting applications is 10 business days, starting on the date of publication of this notice, on October 17, and ending on October 31, 2018.
Applicants to this competition will address their request to the R&D Board, by email, in a PDF format, to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: CEEC-COFAC/ULHT-CeiED/Júnior/2018, along with the following documents:
- Cover letter mentioning the motivations which justified the application;
- Curriculum vitae referring the professional experience, accompanied by a list of the scientific publications produced;
- PhD certificate;
- Personal data and contact information with their respective email addresses – of at least two leading academics who can attest the curriculum submitted;
- Other documents considered relevant by the applicant and which, from their perspective, are pertinent to attest and assess their scientific and professional history.
Excluding the elements mentioned in paragraph e), failure to comply with any of the requirements listed in the previous number will determine the immediate rejection of the application.
False declarations given by the applicants will be punished according to the law.
V – Jury
Appointment in accordance with the provision of article 13 of Decree-Law nº 57/2016, of 29 August, the following were appointed members of the Jury: (i) Chairman – Manuel José Damásio (Executive Director of ILIND ); (ii) António Teodoro, Director CeiED; (iii) Maria Neves Gonçalves, Integrated Researcher at CeiED.
It is for the appointed jury to assess the applications. Minutes shall be taken for each meeting of the jury, which will include the account of the issues discussed as well as the votes cast by each one of the members and the grounds for the decisions made.
The applications admitted to the competition will be assessed taking into account the quality, timeliness and relevance of the scientific curriculum (scientific output and research experience suited to the objectives of the project) as well as professional curriculum of the applicants, in addition to the level of adequacy to the proposed work plan.
In the first stage of the selection process, the jury will qualitatively assess the set of elements listed below:
- The scientific career of the applicant, giving particular relevance to the scientific work done or published in areas relating to the work plan which is the object of the competition (up to 35% of the assessment of this stage);
- The professional experience of the applicant, with special emphasis on the activities carried out in areas relating to the work plan which is the object of the competition (up to 50% of the assessment of this stage);
- Cover letter in Portuguese or English (up to 15% of the assessment of this stage), so that the applicant’s motivation and interest for the activities to be carried out (10% of the assessment), as well as the English proficiency (5%).;
- Should it be deemed necessary, with a view to performing the assessment at this stage, the jury can ask the leading academics mentioned in article 4, nº 1, paragraph d) above for information on the applicant.
In the second phase of the competition, the jury will select to be interviewed (corresponding to 10% of the total assessment) a maximum of 5 applicants among those who in the first stage obtained the highest scores. In any circumstance, only scores higher than 60% shall be considered.
In the event of a tie, the final decision will be the responsibility of the jury’s chairman.
After the selection stages have been concluded, the jury will draw up, within no more than 05 workdays, a minute which will include the final decision, a ranking of the admitted applicants with their respective final scores, as well as brief description of the recruitment process, assessment and selection.
VI – Hearing
Once the jury’s final decision has been stated, as referred to in nº 5 of the previous article, the applicants will be notified so that, in the exercise of their right to prior hearing considered in the Code of Administrative Procedures, they can submit their statement on it, within 10 workdays of the date of publication.
VII – Homologation
When the deadline for the exercise of right of prior hearing has expired, the jury’s final decision is certified by the Chairperson of the Executive Committee of COFAC, crl., which is also responsible for deciding on the hiring of the selected applicant.
VIII – Publicity
The list of admitted and rejected applicants, as well as their respective final scores will be displayed in the premises of Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias, at Avenida do Campo Grande, nº 376, in Lisbon and, moreover, they will be posted on the website www.ulusofona.pt; the applicants will be notified by email.
The full notice can be consulted here .